Google+ Experimental Nails: Spring Dots

Wednesday 27 February 2013

Spring Dots

Hello and welcome to The First Post on my new blog! For my first manicure I wanted to go outside my comfort zone and try something with an element of nail art - can't call a blog Experimental Nails and never try anything new. Pastels are going to be big this spring/summer so I pulled some untrieds out of my Helmer and came up with this:


A springtime pastels skittle manicure with polka dots - it was so cheerful!


The pink is Estee Lauder Lilac Leather from their Heavy Petals Spring 2013 collection, and was a present from my mum. It was a little uneven but applied well, I've used three coats here.


The yellow is Barry M Lemon Ice Cream, and looked a lot more like a pastel in my office - I think I need to keep tweaking my lighting setup. Ok to apply, this is three coats.


Another Barry M, the blue is Blue Moon. In the sunshine the day after I realised it has a very subtle blue shimmer running through it which makes it even prettier. This took four coats to become opaque though.


For the base of the dotted nails I used my new OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, which I've seen touted everywhere as a perfect off-white base for nail art. It doesn't disappoint! Opaque in two easy coats.


My only disappointment came from my topcoat. I used Seche Vite here and as it sometimes does for me, it shrank as it dried, which you can see most on my index finger and thumb. Next time I'll be sticking to a non-fast dry topcoat, and the Seche Vite can be kept back for glitterbomb manicures. Which reminds me, I still need to pick up a bottle of Gelous and try that out...

So there you have it, my first manicure for this blog. It's also my first skittles manicure and my first using a dotting tool so I'm really proud of this one. I hope you liked it!

What have you been wearing on your nails now that spring is just around the corner?


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post, have suggestions or just want to say hello I'd love to hear from you! Comments solely for the purpose of linking to other blogs will be deleted.